How to replace a Volkswagen Passat Cabin Air Filter in 10 minutes and under $10.00 (no tools required)
1. Order cabin air filter online (EBay was used for this example $9.00 USD including shipping)
2. Locate the cabin air filter box in the interior front passenger side under the glove box.
3. You will see a foam insulation pad which is held by two plastic wing nut screws. They can be removed by hand (No Tools Required). Wiggle the foam pad loose and remove it carefully.
4. Slide the plastic retainer and it will allow you to remove it from the slotted holes in the cabin air filter pad. At this point you should be able to wiggle the air filter and pull it out carefully. Take note of the direction and color of the filter (one side is a lighter carbon).
5. Insert the VW replacement cabin air filter in the same exact way you removed the old VW cabin air filter.
6. Place the VW air filter retainer in the slotted holes and slide to lock in place.
7. Replace the foam insulation pad and hand tighten the two plastic wing nut screws.
8. Voila, you are done 10 minutes later and have saved time and money avoiding a costly trip to your local Volkswagen dealer. Your A/C will be more efficient and air will be cleaner pollen free and particulate free.
Subject Car: 2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 (B6 Passat years 05-09) No Tools Required