In my previous post I had outlined my current dismay with the dealer quote for air filter replacements. We had reviewed the 5 minutes and $15 to replace the cabin air filter. The instructions I found on a Mazda forum was easy to follow with pictures and required no tools saving a cool $50+ dollars.
EBay also had the Mazda CX-7 engine air filter for the air intake. I am at about 20,000 miles so I am well overdue. I proceeded to order the filter for $10.65 buy it now and $7.65 shipping for a total of $18.30. The dealer quoted over $150 for both filters so I am assuming they were charging $75 per filter installed. Save yourself some time and over $50 back in your wallet. The air filter replacement took me approximately 10 minutes or less. It was slightly more difficult than the cabin air filter replacement since it requires a Phillips head screwdriver.
Easy Step by Step Directions for Air Filter Replacement
- Pop the hood through the hood release located near the driver’s side kick panel inside the car.
- Open the hood and locate the air filter box located on the right side of the engine.
- release the 4 clips on each side of the box cover.
- Use the phillips head screwdriver to release the air tube. This is very easy. Your hands will get dirty.
- Remove the current filter and replace the new one. Make note to install the same way the old one was installed. The flaps will point downward.
- Place cover back on, and re-clip all 4 clips.
- Put the air tube back on and screw tight. Make sure all clips and screw are air tight or you will get some engine noise.
- Voila 5-10 minutes later your Mazda CX-7 air filter is replaced and you pocketed $50+ dollars for a nice dinner on the town.
Refer to my previous post for the cabin air filter click here.